What is APA?
According to IFAPA, Adapted Physical Activity (APA) means:
- A service-oriented profession
- An academic specialization or field of study
- A cross disciplinary body of knowledge
- An emerging discipline or subdiscipline
- A philosophy or set of beliefs that guides practices
- An attitude of acceptance that predisposes behaviors
- A dynamic system of interwoven theories and practices
- A process and a product (i.e. , programs in whichadaptation occurs)
- An advocacy network for disability rights
In many places the terms adapted physical activity and adapted physical education are used interchangeably. IFAPA believes, however, that ACTIVITY emphasizes lifespan needs in all kinds of activity settings. In contrast, education is often used to focus on school-aged individuals in instructional settings.